There are many perks to living in Latvia, like, I can buy pīrāgi at the grocery store. WHENEVER I WANT. Or, how my aerobics classes are in latvian, which makes it so much more enjoyable...
But, I've got to say, it's being able to go to small events to boost my folk-loving soul with some folk traditions and awesomeness.... last week I went to a "Ringing in Christmas" celebration, which aimed to teach about how Latvians traditionally celebrated the holidays... it involves dressing up in costumes, eating beans (with your hands), singing and dancing, and having a darn good time!
Here are two videos of holiday traditions:
1. Skandinieki is a folklore group, which really knows how to rock it. Creme de la creme of groups in my opinion, upholding traditions and not infusing them with new-age arrangements of songs. Purity. Wholesome goodness.
2. A clip from tonight's festivities... While we were in the process of dragging the logs around Old Town, we stopped for a bit to listen to some music and dance! Mostly to warm up in the cold!
But, I've got to say, it's being able to go to small events to boost my folk-loving soul with some folk traditions and awesomeness.... last week I went to a "Ringing in Christmas" celebration, which aimed to teach about how Latvians traditionally celebrated the holidays... it involves dressing up in costumes, eating beans (with your hands), singing and dancing, and having a darn good time!
Here are two videos of holiday traditions:
1. Skandinieki is a folklore group, which really knows how to rock it. Creme de la creme of groups in my opinion, upholding traditions and not infusing them with new-age arrangements of songs. Purity. Wholesome goodness.
2. A clip from tonight's festivities... While we were in the process of dragging the logs around Old Town, we stopped for a bit to listen to some music and dance! Mostly to warm up in the cold!
No comments:
Post a Comment