Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Stockholm and friends

(Exploring one of the 14 islands in the Stockholm area)

Having friends living elsewhere in Europe always brings up the grand statement: "Oh yeah, we'll be so close, we'll hang out all the time!"  It never happens... or rarely happens... traveling in Europe, as easy as it is, does not always allow for much hanging out with friends living in random cities around the continent.  But it's always exciting when the stars DO align and friends can come together for a quick weekend getaway to catch up and have some fun!  This past weekend I had the opportunity to hop on a ferry to Stockholm and hang out with my Erasmus friends, but also with my Pendu-family, Peter and Kareem.  The trip was a bit bumpy... in many ways, from choppy seas to health issues, but the end result was positive and I'm so happy to have shared a few moments with some great friends!

Arriving at 6am to a sleepy city after not sleeping yourself is not the ideal combination for starting a trip... but we blazed through the pain and kept high spirits as we explored Stockholm for the first time.  Peter joined us a few hours later, and Kareem only later in the day...

(Peter and I, overlooking the city)

(Yep, it's Stockholm!)

(Boats and shiny things go together well... sunshine makes it better!)

 (Woo! I'm in Stockholm!)

(Stockholm sunset)

That night we were lucky enough to attend a **free** concert at Debaser club in the center of the city.  The bands playing were The Bland Band and Ewert and the Two Dragons.  I had heard the latter at Positivus and had become a fan of the Estonian indie rockers.  The opening band, however, was such a great surprise!  A Swedish-Avett Brothers, if you will, jamming out on their banjo, guitar, mandolin, even the accordion made an appearance, my favorite song is Bigger than Your Hometown!

Here's a video of Ewert and the Two Dragons, taken by local Latvian Raitis Freimanis.


 
(Romana and I with Ewert and the Two Dragons!)


Unfortunately, I fell ill the following day and had to spend my time in bed while the rest of the group wandered the city..  However, I was feeling well enough to venture out in the night to visit the must-see in Stockholm: the Ice Bar!  Wow, was it worth it!  Everything in this bar was made out of ice!  Even the drink glasses.  Next stop, Ice Hotel in the North!

(Cheers, freezing friends!)

(Luckily, the bar gives you these cozy ponchos and warm gloves to wear while you visit)

(Mirrors and ice acted as walls and made for great entertainment)

Luckily, the next day I was feeling much better, albeit still sick, and was ready to see more of the city.  The boys both had to leave quite early back to their Euro-cities, but us ladies had until the evening when our ferry would head back to Turku.  We really lucked out on the weather!  Although it sometimes rained, it was for a short time and most of weekend was spent in great fall air.

(Overlooking the Old Town Island)

(The sun shined on the National Museum- it glowed!)

No comments:

Post a Comment