Sunday, November 13, 2011

11.11.11.


(Flowers by the Freedom Monument on 11.11.11)

11.11.11, quite an awesome day!  I really enjoy the symmetry of the date, it sends good, powerful vibes.  Supposedly there were two babies born in Latvia on this date at the time 11:11!  Now that's going to be an interesting fun fact to keep for oneself.

Much to be celebrated on a day like this, for starters, the 35th Anniversary of the folk-group Skandinieki!  They held a small concert before heading out to sing for the general public in honor of Lāčplēša diena.  The mood was joyous and celebratory and everyone joined in song and dance, creating a true feeling of family and unity.


(Singing about not falling out of the cart...)


I should also mention that this past week was the celebration of Mārtiņi, a time to celebrate the year's crops and to mark the beginning of winter months.  During the concert Skandinieki also played their games and poked people in the audience with the traditional carrot and two onions... I'll let you decide for yourself the meaning of that one!

(If you guess the riddle, you'll get to keep the ornament!)

And now we come to my favorite song of the evening!  I had heard it before and that's also why I knew I liked it so much.. 

Kūlies pati, kunga rija, kunga rij'
Kad nebija kūlējiņa, kūlējiņ'!
Rājies pati, brāļa māsa
Kad nebija rājējiņ!

Es izklūlu kunga riju
Ar vītola sprigulīti.
Es mūžiņu nodzīvoju
Ar neveiklu tēva dēlu.

Elle, elle kunga rija,
Ellē kunga piedarbiņis.
Ko ellē'i izkūlāmi
To uz Rīgu aizvedām!


Following the conert, everyone headed out to Strēlnieku laukums, the square nearby to continue singing to celebrate Lāčplēša diena.  Vilkači, Vilki, Skandinieki, and eventually Skyforger went on to play, but I had other business to take care of- a first gig at Paddy Whelan's pub and spending time with my dear friend Dāvid, who used to live in Rīga, but now lives in Brussels!  (It's thanks to him that I have this current apartment...)  The rest of the weekend was a wild time...

(Dāvids, Imanta, Jūlija)




No comments:

Post a Comment