Sunday, November 6, 2011

Halloween, a goodbye and other random bits

(With Jūlija at Jautrā Lapsa for our Halloween gig)

Halloween has come and gone... Although the tradition is not that popular here in Latvia, some essence of it was felt in Riga.  Bars were decked out in spider webs, some people had attempted to carve a pumpkin, and on Halloween night I even noticed some ghouls and goblins wandering the streets!  I myself participated as a little witch, who had a job to do- entertain the guests of Jautrā Lapsa- the newest bar KB and I have started to work with.  Here's a clip of one of our songs!



Along with these fun parties, it's coming to that point when I'm the one to stay and have to say goodbye to friends leaving for bigger, better things...

(Vēsma and I)

My dear friend Vēsma, who I've only gotten to know well quite recently, is about to return back to her home in Australia (for good reason- to get married!).  Vēsma has really helped me get a grip on being a returning-Latvian living in Riga, herself an Aussie raised chickadee who returned to the motherland a few years back.  She welcomed me with open arms, a violin and jam sessions galore- making these past two months full of songs, new opportunities, and generous friendships.  PALDIES, Vēsmai par visu!  We will surely miss her bright and spunky smile and upbeat groove, awaiting her return to Latvija.

(Freedom Monument, November 5, 2011)

On another note, the city has begun its preparations for Independence day celebrations!  Already today, I noticed the newly hung Latvian flags on lampposts and people walking around with Latvian flags in their hands.  It's a month of pride and great cheer and I'm excited to finally be a part of it.


(View of the University through Fall-colored leaves)

No comments:

Post a Comment