Sunday, February 12, 2012

Upcoming referendum

Next week Latvians will be taking to the voting booths to share their voice on the language question in Latvia.  The referendum is to decide whether or not Russian should receive second language status in Latvia.  For many reasons this is an intensely sensitive issue for Latvians and for Russians living within the borders of this country.  However, I'm not going to hide the fact that I believe Latvian should be the only official language of this country.

There have been many campaigns set forth to make people aware of the issues involved and warn of the potential outcomes.  Here's a video I found today, which brings pop culture together with these issues. (It's in Latvian)



Here's another campaign Celies un Ej! (Get up and go!), which has the backing of many important people in society to encourage the general voting public to express their vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment