Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Easter! Spring! Oh my!

 (Apaļš kā pūpols!)

It's been a while since I last updated... the semester is well under way, classes are thankfully much more interesting this time around.  I'm also proud to announce that I will be participating in exchange next fall to Turku University in Turku, Finland!  Yes, I will be venturing even further north (am I crazy?!).  I don't know anything yet of the details, etc, but am very excited for the opportunity to see yet another corner of our world (and to blog to you about it).



Otherwise, the days are finally getting longer, the air is warmer that it even smells like spring!  In honor of Spring Equinox, which is today, I took a quick trip to the Open Air Museum to celebrate Easter.  I colored my egg with onion peels and rice, it turned out quite cool looking!  Folk groups were singing, kids were running around in the mud, there was ceramic breaking for good luck, egg rolling races, and most importantly swinging on a beautiful swing set to make sure you don't sleep away the summer and that the mosquitoes don't chomp away at you!  It was the perfect way to mark the passing of time, spring is here, I've been in Latvia for 6 and a half months now, a moment of reflection for everything that has happened so far and all of the wonderful things that are yet to come.

(Egg preparing station)

(Egg boiling station)

(All boiled and cooling before opening it up!)

(Et, voila! A beautiful Easter egg!)

(Easter egg rolling races!)


No comments:

Post a Comment