Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The one about St.Petersburg



When the opportunity comes along to take a long weekend for a visa-free trip to St.Petersburg, you're crazy not to take it!  The Erasmus Student Network at the University of Turku offered this trip and I was so excited to join the ride.  Having heard and learned so much about "Mother Russia," I was anxious to see what it was all about, and although seeing St.Petersburg for 3 days is nowhere near the amount needed to really know Russia, it's a start and I must say, I am inspired for more!

The trip package included bus transport from Turku to Helsinki, followed by a night on the ferry from Helsinki to St.Petersburg, then back on the same bus (the bus traveled with us on the ferry) all around St.Petersburg center and even to the town of Pushkin.  Traveling by bus with a few hundred students is never easy and can be time consuming... I guess that's really the only complaint I have of the trip- the endless waiting for stragglers and dealing with a large group.  Otherwise, the trip went off smoothly as we visited the "highlights of the highlights," such as the Hermitage Museum, the Cathedral of Spilt Blood, Catherine's Palace and more!  During the day or at night, the city was luminous and so colorful, only enhanced by the beautiful fall weather that we were so lucky to have while visiting.

 (We left a terribly rainy Finland on a rocky boat... but kept our spirits high!)

(Arrived to St.Petersburg harbor the next morning...)

******
(The Hermitage Museum is one of the biggest in the world)

(If you spent all your time there, it would take you about 8 years to see the entire collection)

(The museum at night)

 (Inside, the museum is full of all kinds of treasures... this was Peter the Great's throne room)

(Some original DaVinci pieces as well...)


 (And my personal favorite, Matisse)

*******

(Romana and I rubbing Peter the Great's -tiny- head for good luck)

(Biggest tourist souvenir, Russian dolls!)

(Boy scouts?  Future generals?  Boys marching and chanting down the street)

(It's fast food... but it's good food!  Borsch and meat pancakes! YUM!)

********
(Cathedral of Spilt Blood, colorful and vibrant in the evening sun)
(Cathedral in the day)

 (More cathedrals!)

 (Travel buddies, Romana, Eliska, Imanta and Anna)

********
 (Day view of the river)

 (Night view of the river and open bridges)

**********

(At St.Catherine's Palace in the town of Pushkin)

(Welcome to my humble abode...)

(A new outfit every day... can you say diva?)

 (And a sneak peak into the infamous Amber room! Shh!)

(See ya later, Russia, it was great!)



No comments:

Post a Comment