Friday, September 21, 2012

Sights and sounds in and around Turku

It's been almost a month since I arrived in Turku.  Settling in and getting into the swing of things has been pretty easy.  We still have a light course load, but that will soon change in the weeks to come.  For now, that leaves time to take strolls through the city, survey our surroundings and take little adventures to the sea.  Meeting new people has definitely been a priority, which is why I've chosen to participate in a French language circle hosted by a language center associated with the University.  It was a shock to me that after over a year of not speaking French the language was still pretty solid in my subconscious to allow me to freely participate in conversation!  What a great feeling to know I haven't lost it completely.  I've also joined the University choir- Turun Yliopiston Ylioppilaskunnan Kuoro which is going to be an interesting experience considering I haven't sung in a choir in a few years, I've been bumped UP to an Alto 1 (in the past I sang Alto 2), AND the working language of all rehearsals is none other than Finnish... good thing I learned my numbers this week!  I'll be able to practice and finding my measures to sing.  The people seem friendly and the quality of the choir is definitely up to par, so that's refreshing.  I'm excited to have a chance to keep my vocal chords in shape while I'm here in Turku!

So, what does it all look like?  Here are some of the activities we've enjoyed in our first weeks here in Turku!

(The city has a wonderful museum that shows guests what Turku was like a long time ago before the great fire burned most of it down, here's an authentic shoe-maker)





(At the Handicrafts museum)




(It is very popular for towns to have a special "town day", these were the fireworks on the river Aura on Turku day)

(Madara and I decided to take a stroll in our neighborhood to see what we could find... about 30 minutes of walking brought us to this beautiful lake!)

 (On the way to the lake was a quaint antique/junk shop)

(A rainy Friday is great for a walk through the city art museum- even better that it's free in the afternoon!)

(Looking to the center of Turku from the art museum)

(Weather changes quite frequently as one day can be terribly rainy and the next beautifully sunny, thi is the city library)

(The goods at the central market square)

(View of Kauppatori- main square in Turku)

(Took a trip to the Baltic sea!)



(What better way to spend a Sunday afternoon other than grilling outside and having burgers! yum!)

(A stop in the mall and I stumble upon Finnish Female Acappella!  haha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment