Monday, September 2, 2013

Travelivenjoy... and teach... again!

It's been much too long since I last wrote for this blog.  Writing a master's thesis takes its toll and even this avid writer had a hard time finding inspiration when so much time was spent on academic writing.  Alas!  Another year has passed, winter, spring, summer, a master's degree in my hand and now finally back to fall, the beginning of another school year.  This time, however, I'll be spending it in front of the classroom instead of on the benches!

(My official Iespējamā Misija photo)

My newest journey has taken me to a program called Iespējamā misija (Mission Possible), a program here in Latvia which is based on the Teach for All model, aimed at bringing young, active people into the classroom to teach and inspire students!  After a grueling interview process (4 rounds of phone interviews, face to face interviews, role plays, lesson presentations, etc), I was one of the lucky 22 to be accepted into the program this year out of about 300+ initial applicants in Latvia.  I'll be teaching English to grades 5, 8, 10-12 at the Lithuanian school of Riga.

Teaching experience or pedagogical education are not obligatory elements for joining the program.  Although I can't say it doesn't hurt... all-summer-long intensive seminars, workshops and even a summer school- day camp for kids were all a part of our training to give us as many tools as possible for us to feel comfortable and confident entering the classroom in the fall.  Training will continue for the next two years, as our work is closely monitored ensuring the best use of our tools and allowing for personal reflection to see what is going well and what can be improved.  By empowering us as teachers with modern and interactive methodology, we're slowly changing the way teaching is perceived in Latvia today, as in many cases the education system is still fighting its Soviet legacy.  Having written my master's thesis on the topic of collective memory in the education systems in Latvia and Finland, I'm particularly excited to be entering a school system that is quite foreign to me (alright, I did it already in France- here's to exploring more).  I hope going into the belly of the beast will allow me to make broader observations of Latvian society and what can be done to improve education in this country.

(Summer school- day camp! 
Copyright: Iespējamā misija)

Although three years ago (*gasp* has it really been that long?!), I was entering the classrooms of my schools in France, this time around I'm going to play a much more active role within the school.  Coming up with lesson plans, creating my own classroom environment that works for me and my students.  I'll also be a "klases audzinātāja"- a fairly foreign term for us in the State's- the closest thing I could compare it to is a homeroom teacher, but the audzinātāja has a much larger role to play with her class.  It is my job to take care of my 5.a. class, which comprises of 19 wonderful students, one is even just as new to our school as I and even newer to Latvia than I am, having arrived only this past summer and barely speaking a word of Latvian!  We have weekly allotted class time, which is designated to personal growth, life and social skills building, as well as the most important feature- field trips.  I'm lucky that my program's alumn, Oskars, is still working at my school and is the audzinātājs to the parallel 5th grade class.  His guidance has been indescribably helpful thus far and I know I'll be turning to him much more as time goes on.

(Oskars and I on the first day of school)

The first day of school is quite the ordeal in Latvia.  It's all across the news, as people young and old prepare for this eventful day, reminiscing about their own school years and wishing the youngin's a fruitful year of learning.  I had heard many stories about this day, mostly about the flowers that teachers receive.  Honestly, I didn't think it was going to be such a big deal... boy, was I wrong!

The morning began with Oskars and I standing in the foyer of our school with a huge sign greeting our classes.  We decided to do something special for our kids and it was a hit!  Everyone was eyeing us with envy as they walked by to their classrooms and met their teachers.  Flowers started pouring in as my students shyly approached me, hesitant of what was to come this year.  After a quick run up to our classroom to drop off our stuff (and flowers!), the entire school headed to the gymnasium, where the official first day of school ceremony was to take place.  Unfortunately, quite the rain cloud has come over Riga and we were forced to hold the ceremony inside.  Standing by class around the rim of the gym, parents looked down from the bleachers above.  The ceremony began with the procession of the oldest and youngest classes, 12th graders proudly escorting the 1st graders into the gym, as the "first bell" rang.  It's a symbol of the beginning and a certain end, a circle of life, if you will, which was very cute.  Then, the audience sang both the Latvian anthem and the Lithuanian anthem, as our school is bilingual.  After the joyous anthems followed congratulatory speeches in both Latvian and Lithuanian, a performance of a small choir and finally the invitation to go to our first class- our audzināma stunda (homeroom class).

(Greeting our students)

As I was completely fresh to the scene, my main goal of the first day was to get a feel for my 5.a. class.  I had heard mostly positive feedback about them, which is exciting, but I wanted to see for myself!  I had planned a set of activities, asked the parents to give us some time to get to know one another and off we were!

(Our class- Our pledge)

After we completed rounds of getting to know one another, however difficult it was because the class knows each other very well (except for me and the new girl), class was dismissed and the day was over!  How easy is that?!?  Gotta say, I enjoy this slow easing in to the school year!

The trip home was quite difficult as I was carrying what seemed like a ridiculous amount of flowers... It was a funny feeling to know that everyone else knew I was a teacher.  But a nice feeling that I could get used to.  To complete my day, I passed the Freedom Monument to pay my respects by leaving some flowers (okay, I was mostly trying to lighten my load, but the gesture was nice!).  The feeling that stirs when I approach that monument never fails to disappoint and some tears always manage to push their way through as I think about how grateful I am to be where I am and doing what I'm doing.

Happy first day of school from Latvia!  Here's to a great school year, bright and engaged students and teachers who never lose their passion and energy!

2 comments:

  1. Urra, Ima! Mes abas busim skolotajas :)
    So excited to get started- mums sakas klases ritdien! 5th grade math and science- nevaru sagaidit! I hope you're right about "teachers who never lose their passion and energy." That's definitely my goal. Missing you from ASV
    <3 Brita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super :) Yup, tā kaudze ziedu tevi nodod ;)

    ReplyDelete